Friday, December 08, 2006

Outrageous!!!

After reading up a little on Faithless today I was outraged to discover that MTV banned the video for Bombs when it came out last September. The video shows how war and violent images have become part of our everyday life. It is social commentary at its finest! So why was it banned?

So from being the ones to play Faithless when no one else would, MTV has now become the corporate giant that does not allow people to express their dissatisfaction with things like the war. All I can say is that I am happy that I was part of MTV at a time when it had a social and political conscience.



This video also reminds me of the old Damien Loeb paintings, which were actually the ones he was working on whilst I was staying with him years ago. They depicted pictures of beauty pageants and other cute images in front of explosions and other war scenes . Quite disturbing, but incredibly powerful.

3 Comments:

Unknown said...

Simone, I am 100 % sure I saw this video on MTV's Dancefloor chart last Saturday (or actually early Sunday) here in Finland.

But you're right, it is just so unlikely to have it aired during daytime.

Fil said...

You're absolutely right Tuleva!
I've seen the video for "Bombs" on several MTV channels across Europe as well, even at daytime!

However, it's easier to see it on the electronic / dance shows like DFC, Party Zone and Chill Out Zone.

Besides, I've also seen it on MTV Dance (the 24h dance channel) quite a lot of times.

However, I actually agree with Simone about MTV having changed a lot over the years (sadly enough), but still there's a HUGE difference between the American MTV and the European MTVs. Too bad you can't get any of them over there, Simone! ;-)

Simone said...

Good to hear that the video has been aired on MTV Europe.
I guess it's MTV in the US that wouldn't air it. Just like they are funny about showing flag draped coffins in the States. Anyway, I'm happy to hear that MTV Europe is not going down that route! I guess they are not 100% safe and corporate then. That's good.