Thursday, February 15, 2007

Sounds of the tropics

We've just come back from San Pedro on Ambegris Caye, one of the Belizean islands. With blue skies, white beaches, dolphins playing off the coast in the afternoons, what more could you possibly wish for? Well...maybe a fully equipped recording studio? But of course, you won't be able to find that on a little Caribbean island like Ambegris Caye? Haha, that's where you're wrong!

Mata Grande Studio has just blown my mind. I'm absolutely in love with it. Not only is it a professional, fully equipped music recording studio, it's actually one of the nicest I have ever seen. All these overpriced London studios are just boring, dingy places in comparison to this. Now, there were no recordings going on whilst we were there, but I've been told that the acoustics are second to none & I can believe that, because it's obvious how much thought has gone into the whole place.

So the set-up with this studio is that the bands or artists recording there get a whole private resort thrown into the deal, with 2 swimming pools, a private beach, etc. And it's totally tucked away (only to be reached by boat) so no one should ever bother them there. Ebbe, one of the owners, totally understands the rock & roll mindset too, proven by the fact that he's buying tons of silly 'boy toys', like radio controlled helicopters, boats and off-road cars for the bands to race with in between takes (this next to the well-stocked beach bar, of course)




As you can see, my little boy Lucas loved being in the studio too.


Anyway, I'm very excited about this new gem of a place here in Belize and I'm sure that I'll be spending a lot more time there in the future.

0 Comments: