Monday, December 22, 2008

Hallelujah! Christmas number 1 and 2

In the UK there is always this big hooha about who will be 'the Christmas number one'. This year it is the beautiful Leonard Cohen track of the very appropriate name 'Hallelujah' (which some people will know as 'the Shrek song', strangely enough)

Not only is it number one though, but also number two. The version that is topping the charts is the version from Alexandra Burke, the winner of this year's X-Factor. Whilst the number two spot is held by the 1994 Jeff Buckley version of the song. I have always been a fan of the Jeff Buckley version. It's like the raw emotion is dripping off that one. So haunting and so beautiful.

I once had the pleasure of interviewing Jeff Buckley at Glastonbury festival and- like everyone else- his strange and untimely death came as a huge shock to me. He drowned in 1997 at the age of 30. The world lost a great and honest talent on that sad day. But I'm thrilled to see that a new generation of music lovers is discovering Jeff Buckley's music again.

Alexandra's version of the track is good too & with a performance like that, how could she not win the competition?




Sadly enough, they wouldn't let me embed the Jeff Buckley version. You actually will have to go to Utube to watch it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKnxmkOAj88

Merry Christmas everyone!

3 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!

Eurodance Blog said...

If is your B-day Angel Simone:) i wish you all the best!!
kisses from Romania

Tavi;-)

Anonymous said...

Hi there Simone!
First of all let me wish you a belated happy birthday! ;-)

2008 is almost over and it's been a whopping 10 years since you left MTV Europe. I can't believe it's already been that long since the last proper edition of PZ aired! You guys shot it in Austria and I remember you were very upset that MTV was to stop the PZ. Well, we all were.

Anyway, I think the time has come to shed some light on those sad days, so I've got some questions for you:
1) When did they tell you that PZ was coming to an end? Did you find that out in December 1998 like the rest of us or had they told you before?
2) Had you seen it coming?
3) Since they were to cut the PZ, did MTV give you any other job opportunities (e.g. some other more mainstream show to host) or did they "fire" you right away?
4) Were most of your old-time colleagues let off too in December 1998?
5) Did you keep in touch with the MTV people - other than James, that is - once you left the company?

I think that's enough for now. In case I come up with more questions, I'll let you know. :-)
I'd really appreciate a whole post about this on your blog rather than a tiny comment, if possible.

Lots of love temporarily from Cracow, PL

Fil