Sunday, November 12, 2006

For what it's worth

During my time at MTV my music knowledge was pretty extensive. I took music history seriously & always kept up to date by reading the music mags and of course by watching tons of MTV. As soon as I entered any hotel room I'd switch on MTV and it played constantly in the MTV building as well.

My pursuit of music knowledge was nothing like James Hyman's obsessive compulsive thirst for fact, figures and obscure samples & I was no walking, talking 'music library' like Paul King, but still...I knew my s**t.

Then we left for Belize in 2001 and I completely stopped following what was going on. To be honest, I think that it was all too painful for me to see how everyone was still 'out there' doing their thing whilst I wasn't anymore. I mean, it was my own choice to move to the Belizean jungle, but I hadn't fully thought through what that was going to mean in reality, that it would mean the end of my career.

Anyway, after years of souls searching and deciding to make things work out here, I'm now very settled in this jungle lifestyle and feel blessed to be here every day. I am no longer envious of anyone else's life anymore & it no longer hurts to look at what's happening in the world of music.

I'm even getting to a point where I no longer feel embarrassed about my huge gap in recent music knowledge. I even think that it makes things more interesting in a way. What do I mean with that? Well, I now am an outsider looking in. I am not influenced by any hype, fad or scene that might be going on around me. I just see and hear things for what they are. I don't know what any of the recent bands or artists where up to a year or two years ago, I just witness where they are at this very moment.

And, even though I am outside looking in, I also know what things look like from the inside as I spent so much time there myself.

So, I guess it's quite a unique perspective and one that's hopefully going to result in some interesting observations and conclusions.

There has been lots going through my mind lately with regards to what I've seen and heard, I'll start sharing in the coming days...

2 Comments:

Magnus said...

Heb vorig jaar meegedaan aan de Nationale Popkwizz in Nederland. Dacht zelf veel kennis te bezitten, maar het werd een ontnuchterende dag, hahaha.

Anonymous said...

Hi Simone! what can i see it's pleasure to find u here! What can i say mtv from 90's we're de best, nonstop hits with Kristine, wake -up with Maria & Mtv amour, european top 20 with Lisa & Hitlist, Dance floor chart and Party Zone, but must important for me was Mtv News with Carolyn Lilipaly do o have some news about her?
Thank u very much for your time
Tavi Romania