Monday, November 10, 2008

Grace Jones

Steve Blame was the one who introduced me to Grace Jones. He has always surrounded himself with all these odd-ball people. When he used to throw these crazy birthday parties (turning 37 1/2, etc.) in Greece, we would hang out with Nina Haagen and her fake dog, La Camilla- the woman with the big lips from 'Army of lovers'- who would take about 6 hours getting her make-up done, Adamski- who broke his leg on one of the trips and hobbled along for the rest of it- plus many others. It was always pure insanity.

So I was used to meeting strange people through Steve and I had heard his stories about Grace Jones. Still, when I met her, she was even more weird and scary than I ever could have imagined.

She walked up to Steve, myself and my mother (I used to take my mum along to everything) through this dark nightclub. She kissed Steve and then turned to me. Steve said: 'Grace, this is Simone Angel'. I held my hand out to shake hers, but she just stared at me and- instead of shaking my hand- squeezed both my boobs. It was the weirdest thing. It wasn't a joke, she remained dead serious. It just seemed to be the way she greeted new people. My mum was shocked too. Yet neither of us had the guts to react to her. She really was frightening. I just pretended that I found the way she greeted me totally normal, I didn't know what else to do.

Later on that evening, she followed me into the toilets & handed me a little plastic flashing love heart. She smiled at me and then just walked away. And that was that. Very odd.

Anyway, I find it funny how she has managed to make such a come-back. Good on her, that strange, ageless, alien woman.

Here's her clip for Corporate Cannibal.

4 Comments:

Anonymous said...

What a lovely story!
Especially the part about the boobs squeezing.

Anonymous said...

Grace was always scary. But she had this enormous presence, more than most of the "celebrities" today...

Anonymous said...

Why some of my comments are not posted?

Eurodance Blog said...

Hello Hello Simone!
Check this out this track .. i don't know if u heard it ... but i love it!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGXVncSTwg4


Have a great weekend!!

Regards